Airtable is a spreadsheet-database hybrid. Note that because val.town uses Deno, an unofficial client library has to be used.
On the homepage, click Start from scratch to create a base:
If prompted with automatic setup, click Skip. You should get a new base with a blank table.
Adjust the table fields as you want (note that this isn’t covered by this guide).
Click on your profile icon, then on Developer hub:
Click Create new token.
Fill out the fields:
- Name: Any. For example,
- Scopes: You’ll most likely want to add
- Access: Add the base you created earlier.
Lastly, click Create token. Here’s an example of how your settings could probably look like:
Copy your token and click Done.
Go to val.town, click on your username and then on Secrets:
Click New secret. Set the key to a name you want to use to reference the token (for example,
airtable_pat) and paste the copied personal access token into the value, then click Add.
You can then use Airtable from val.town like so:
Make sure to change:
- apiKey if you have used a different name for your secret.
- baseId to the ID of your base. You can find it in the URL bar while a table is open and it will likely start with
- tableName to either the name of your table or the table ID which can also be found in the URL after the base ID (see above).